It is said that a photograph says a thousand words. I am renewing my resolve to take one photo per day for an approximate total of 365,000 unspoken words.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday, 2/21/2010: The arrival of Frau Schraeder

One of my scenes (with blocking noted)

This afternoon, I had my first rehearsal for The Sound of Music. First, we learned and sang our song (it's called "No Way to Stop It" and it's NOT in the movie). That was so much fun. Then we got down to the nitty-gritty and began blocking. I've completely and utterly forgotten how insanely HARD theater is! I have not done a show for ten years, and I'm having a hard time breaking myself back in.

In high school, singing, dancing and acting were all so integrated into my life (and, come to think of it, my self-definition) that being in a show--being a lead in a show--was like breathing, or walking and chewing gum. I'd started appearing on stage in third grade, and by twelfth, it was old hat for me. It came so naturally. I remember it being so embedded in me that while center stage in the spotlight singing one of my solos, senior year, I caught myself thinking about what I was going to do after the show, and my unfinished homework for Bio II class, and some other nonsense, in front of a live audience! I had an entire stream-of-consciousness conversation with myself during my performance.

I am so very far, far away from that at this point. Now, I got a little nervous just singing in front of the choral director and my two fellow actors...and a little intimidated acting in front of the director and the same group of thespians. I'm really hoping the opportunity to "get my feet wet" will build my confidence back up somewhat. And I think with time, practice, and perseverance, it will. I'm really grateful not to have a bigger part!!

Here's the shameless plug: Come see the Road Company's production of The Sound of Music at the Grand Theater in Williamstown! April 16-May 1, 2010. For tickets & additional information: http://roadcompany.com/html/2010Season.html

No comments:

Post a Comment